18 June 2012

Back of the Box

Sometimes I actually make the recipe listed on the back of the box.  The other day I made the recipe on the back of a Bush's Black Beans can.  The only reason I eat a typical salad (one with lettuce greens) is to have the Ranch Dressing.  And I never eat macaroni salad of any kind.  So when I happen upon salads that are healthy and tasty (and lack lettuce greens), I want to spread the word.

This is easy (but has at least five ingredients). Don't know that small children will like it, but it's tasty and healthy. So here you go:
 
 
 
1 can (15 oz.) Bush's Black Beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups mango, diced (about 2 mangos)
1 cup sweet red bell pepper, diced (about 1 pepper)
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
hot sauce and salt to taste
Combine ingredients in a bowl. Toss and serve. (from http://www.bushbeans.com/)
 
Mute Mind Musing:  A lot of people don't make a recipe if it has any more than three ingredients.  When I look at my recipe book of things I really like, most of the recipes have about five or more ingredients.  I find that the more ingredients, the tastier the finished product.  Yes, I have four children and yes, I don't always have time.  But being in the kitchen and trying new things is something I like to make time for.  I love it when I can add another recipe to my recipe book of favorites (always a bit involved or extravagant) and no-fails (simple things the kids like). 
 
I haven't had much luck with the recipes on the "back of the box."  My mother-in-law and my sister-in-law each made a "back of the box" recipe that have found their way into my recipe book.  So I thought "back of the box" recipes would be winners no matter what.  I think this is the first of many that I've tried that I actually liked.   The only other one is Triple Cheese Bread from the back of a King Arthur bag of flour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment